Guys. I don’t want to toot my own horn… but TOOT-freaking-TOOT. These cupcakes are AMAZING. Easily the best I’ve yet to make.
I used a Devil’s Food recipe I found on Your Cup of Cake, piped each cupcake with straight Nutella, and then made a Nutella Buttercream Frosting I found on Pinterest.
1 cup sour cream
½ cup oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ cup water
½ cup buttermilk
Devil’s Food Cake Mix
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line two cupcake pans with paper liners.
2. Using a whisk, mix sour cream, oil and vanilla extract together. Add eggs one at a time, stirring well in between each addition.
3. Alternate adding the cake mix and liquids (buttermilk and water), starting and ending with the cake mix.
4. Fill liners 2/3 full and bake for 14-18 minutes, or until and inserted knife come out clean.
Then I filled a piping bag with an entire jar of Nutella and, using a long filling tip, piped some Nutella into each cupcake.
Then Kelly and I split one, unfrosted, because they are THAT good.
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 13-ounce jar of Nutella
pinch of fine grain sea salt
1 tbsp clear vanilla extract
1.5 lbs confectioners’ sugar, sifted
6-8 tbsp heavy cream or milk
1. In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and Nutella until well combined, thick and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Slowly add in confectioner’s sugar, and continue mixing until well blended.
2. Add salt, vanilla, and 3 tablespoons of heavy cream or milk. Blend on low speed until moistened. Add an additional 3-5 tablespoons of heavy cream or milk until you reach the desired consistency. Beat at high speed until frosting is smooth and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
These cupcakes are SUPER rich, so you WILL need a glass of milk. And, if you’re lucky, a little nosey cat to share it with.